The mission of the interior design program is to prepare students for a career in the interior design industry. Students are engaged in both hands-on and theoretical approaches to the study of residential and commercial interior design. Within this framework, the critical tenets of creative thinking, and sensitivity to human needs within the built environment are emphasized. To this end, students are encouraged to consider global perspectives, cultural differences and physical differences, all of which play a role in creating functional and aesthetic interior environments.”
Students earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Interior Design are equipped to engage in entry level interior design practice and are eligible to sit for the IDEX California Exam immediately upon graduation.
Change of Major to BS in Interior Design
The BS in Interior Design invites current students to submit a change of major request online by completing the following steps:
- Go to SF State’s home page at www.sfsu.edu and select the Login link to log into SF State Gateway/MySFSU.
- Log in with your SF State ID or E-mail and SF State Password.
- Your SF State Gateway home page displays. Click the Schedule / Classes link under the Student section and click to Student Center.
- The SF State Student Center displays. Under the other academics pull down section, select Change Major from the drop-down menu. Click the Go button.
- The Change of Major/Minor page appears.
- To proceed, click the Next button at page bottom.
- A new page displays your current major and click on the change of major button.
- Requested College - Click 38 CHSS.
Requested Major – Click Either
- Interior Design - BS
- Click Submit Button.
- You will receive a welcome email from our Department with an email address of your new major advisor – Please note that you must check Gateway in order to access this email. Please send your advisor an email to set up a time to discuss your academic advising plan.
- After this meeting, you will be added to the ID major.
- A confirmation of your request will be sent to your SF State email account.
Download Adobe Reader. The documents on this website have been identified as having barriers to accessibility. The site owner is working to remedy these access barriers. If you experience problems using this site/the documents, contact fina.sfsu.edu.