The Interior Design program prepares students for careers in interior design and closely related industries. The program is structured through a holistic approach to designing that integrates industry standards as well as scientific and experimental methods which all serve to develop broad student skill sets and professionalism. As San Francisco State University is located in close proximity to a dynamic design center, the program is able to foster additional experiential learning through utilization of these resources in addition to our own.
The program focuses on both residential and commercial interior design and includes curricula which build on rigor within the transition from foundational courses through advanced level practicum courses. Program study includes a culminating experience within the final semester of study, the Senior Thesis Project.
Students earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Interior Design are equipped to engage in entry level interior design practice and are eligible to sit for the IDEX California Exam immediately upon graduation.
Change of Major to BS in Interior Design
The BS in Interior Design invites current students to submit a change of major request online by completing the following steps:
- Go to SF State’s home page at www.sfsu.edu and select the Login link to log into SF State Gateway/MySFSU.
- Log in with your SF State ID or E-mail and SF State Password.
- Your SF State Gateway home page displays. Click the Schedule / Classes link under the Student section and click to Student Center.
- The SF State Student Center displays. Under the other academics pull down section, select Change Major from the drop-down menu. Click the Go button.
- The Change of Major/Minor page appears.
- To proceed, click the Next button at page bottom.
- A new page displays your current major and click on the change of major button.
- Requested College - Click 38 CHSS.
Requested Major – Click Either
- Interior Design - BS
- Click Submit Button.
- You will receive a welcome email from our Department with an email address of your new major advisor. Please send an email to set up a time to develop your academic advising plan.
- After this meeting, you will be added to the ID major.
- A confirmation of your request will be sent to your SF State email account.
Download Adobe Reader. The documents on this website have been identified as having barriers to accessibility. The site owner is working to remedy these access barriers. If you experience problems using this site/the documents, contact fina.sfsu.edu.